20 April 2017

Decisions, Decisions

Can you guess what the question is?

I finished basting the kiddo's intended sleeping bag / quilt -- though I have no idea how I'm going to finish it (giant zipper? binding and massive snaps? ties?), and started quilting it. Because it's been so long since I've actually quilted, and because this is kind of a 'use up the orphan blocks' project, I decided to play around a little instead of focusing on getting it done.

It's bee a challenge to feed the quilt through the machine over and over again, but I'm doing more of a 'doodle' style quilt so far than what I'm used to. It's fun, but tiring.

Since my machine needs a trip to the shop for a check up again soon, I'm tempted to try dropping the feed dogs again and see if that helps me doodle a little better. If my feed dogs came back up properly, it'd be easier to consider...

BUT

despite all the fun I'm having doodling and the fact that I'd really like to get this one done, there's something else calling my name:

This lovely little pile of fabric is the beginning of a quilt I need to make in the next 20 weeks. That sounds like a long time, but not if my feed dogs aren't working or if my machine is off at a shop for even a couple weeks. So maybe I need to be working on this project first -- or plan on piecing this project on my back up machine?

The Hazelwood charm pack, low volume bundle, and Wonderland (Rifle Paper Co / Cotton + Steel) yardage are all for the same planned quilt. If everything goes as I hope, it'll be something a little bit like this:

I've actually never made a 'flying geese' type quilt or block before, but I don't anticipate it being too challenging. I think the biggest challenge for me is going to be keeping all the seams lined up as I piece the top together!

My rough math suggests that I'll use most of the Hazelwood charms for the geese, and that this bundle is only the beginning of the low volume I'll need for the background. My plan is to make the geese, then cut the low volume into the size I need, and get my design wall into play before I do anything else!

My goal is for the Wonderland yardage to be the backing for this quilt. I'm thinking a black and white stripe binding -- but it might need to be less bold to go with the top. Maybe a light blue or gray stripe instead of the black?

So, the question is, do I keep quilting, or start pushing towards work in progress #20
-- surely that's not right, let me check -- Nope, I've actually finished some. If I start this it will be Work in Progress # 14. That's still utterly overwhelming... but better than I thought!


No comments:

Post a Comment