30 August 2016

Quilt #30 -- Purple and Black Modern Baby Quilt

Okay, so I think of this one as the "Motor-cross Princess" quilt. Because if all goes as planned, it is intended for a child whose parents once called her that. Then again, because of the size of the planet, by the time I have a chance to give it to her, she might be far, far too big for a baby quilt!

 It's not a very large size for the toddler she will probably be before I get to meet her -- or a chance to mail this overseas -- so there's a chance this will end up going to someone else between now and then. Life is tricky that way sometimes.

It's really too bright outside to get good photos of this one. The colors are so much more powerful than this photo makes them look -- though not too loud for a nursery with all the grays and neutrals in there. It certainly isn't what I'd call a typical 'baby girl' quilt, and that was exactly the point. The colors are a little unusual for 'baby girl' (purple, grey, black, and yellow) and the prints are all quite neutral and sophisticated. 
I quilted it quite simply with mostly echo or in the ditch quilting. To add a little bit of jazz, I did swap over to some dark purple thread for some extra quilting in the black fields. You can kind of see that in the photo of the backing and binding -- but it turned out much more subtle than I expected.

Now to sit back and see if I get a chance to give it to the motor cross princess before she's far too old to appreciate it!


No comments:

Post a Comment