31 December 2016

Whoops

You know what that means...

Yep, even though it is the last thing I really need, I started a new project.

I can justify it all I want -- it's all scraps, I'm using up stuff that was taking room in my storage, it's going so fast, I couldn't have worked on any of the others anyway -- but while those are all true, it really boils down to this: I needed something a little more brainless.

I've got great projects going on. I really do want to be working on them. Even if basting is the worst.

But everything else I'm working on -- or working towards -- requires a lot of attention to detail. Measure twice, press once, measure again, then cut or sew. That's great for a more perfect outcome.

But right now, I need something messy and fast and just plain fun.

So, I'm scrap busting. I'm sewing fast. I'm not even looking at colors or patterns -- only sizes.

I pulled 4 orphaned blocks I've had for 5+ years out of storage, then pulled all the greens, blues, yellows, and a few creams and oranges from my 'too big to be a scrap but too small to be really useful' pile (does anyone else have one of those?). Then, I just matched scraps together in increasingly bigger blocks.

When I took a break because I needed to iron -- and the ironing board was in with the sleeping baby (technically not a toddler for a couple more weeks) -- I whipped out a quick draft layout to see how my progress looked:

There are still a few blank spots to fill in, and the layout will almost certainly change as I keep working, but, it's fun and a little wild, and I kind of love it. You can easily pick out 3 of the 4 blocks, but I think the 4th blends right in (left most, approximate middle). The dark brown zigs stand out, but not as much as I thought they would. I might move them more towards the center -- if they can't be disguised, might as well feature them! -- but I might not. I might keep on with my 'don't look, don't think' plan. 

Of course, I've had help. Any moment the baby is away, the help comes out of hiding: 
His nap on the creams and yellows might have led to the color choices so far, but I'm not too worried about it. I've honestly not paid any attention to that yet, and I don't intend to. I need a total vacation from thinking -- or over-thinking -- and this is it. It might not look great (although, I actually kind dig it) but I feel great, and that's what really matters right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment