12 January 2017

Quilt #31 -- Starburst for CGQ

This quilt took all of 2016 to finish. Not because it is time consuming or because I was taking extra care with each step, but just because.

The initial goal behind this quilt was to have everyone in the group start with the same pattern and do their own thing. It was a good idea -- but not something we'll be doing again. Without the pressure of working together, we all kind of wandered off into other projects. I won't lie, that helped me get other things done as this is about my only time to quilt. But it did not help any of us get these quilts done.

Having done the central 'starburst' block several times in the past, I knew I wanted to go big and then take on a medallion quilt inspired challenge. While I like what I did, I learned that I need a pattern to follow for future medallion attempts.

Some of the fabrics came from my stash, some came from the group stash. But I'm really thrilled with the way they all worked together. The black floral print and the light pinks really work together, and while the dog print and the candy hearts on the back seem a little bolder, they really work well with the colorful quilting.

Seriously, I love the quilting so much. And I love that I kept the lime thread in for attaching the black and white binding. It's a little thing many people won't see at all, but it brings me great joy.

Now that it's all done, I have no idea why I put off working on it for so long. But that's my process: initial love, massive amounts of questioning, putting off basting, and renewed love. The less of a plan I have, the more the questioning lasts -- another thing I'm constantly working to overcome, and focusing on especially in 2017!

So, it may have taken approximately 1 year from start to finish, but it's done now and I'm thrilled. Now I'm off to research my links of 'where to donate quilts' until I find the right home for this one, and the other quilts the rest of the group made.

No comments:

Post a Comment