19 October 2015

Part 2: Mini Quilt : Panda-monium

The number of pieces in this pattern -- 26 sizes, totaling pieces is 79 (I think) -- is a little overwhelming. And I don't have the greatest history of keeping things straight when I follow a pattern this complex -- but I am not going to let this pattern intimidate me.

My experiences with Hazel Hedgehog did teach me I do better if I have this complex a patter printed off instead of trying to keep track of everything on the computer. It also helps to read the entire pattern before you start. Maybe that's obvious... but I usually like to start working right away. So for this mini, I made myself slow down and take my time.


Those are all the pieces (I hope!) cut and labeled. It's still a little overwhelming... but unless I made a mistake, I should be ready to proceed with caution.

-- much later --

Some of the top assembly was actually accomplished back in July, the night before I went to the hospital to have the baby, but most of it happened in very small, one or two seams at a time chunks during tiny baby naps.


I thought I had been very careful, but this afternoon proved that I need some work on that level. Or I suppose we could put some blame on pregnancy and/or post-pregnancy brain... There were a few issues, some with cutting (I was a few pieces short, and at least one was the wrong size by a significant part) and of course the usual issues with imperfect seam allowances. Ugh. I need to make permanent guides on my machine!

But --all imperfections managed and included, I finished the little top at last!

Yes, this was a lot of work, and a lot of pieces, but I kind of want to do it again. Someday when I have a lot more time that is! It was very time consuming for me, and the kind of block that requires a pressing station near by, but I love my wonky little panda.




No comments:

Post a Comment