21 September 2015

Wonky Star Compilation -- Celebration

I thought I had shared these a couple weeks ago... but I don't see them now. No surprise -- these days I don't know if I'm going or coming or somewhere in between. I can hardly keep track of myself, much less anything I'm supposed to be doing.

After way too much time, the Wonky Star quilt my local group made blocks for is quilted and washed and ready to be given away in November.

Everyone in the group contributed at least one wonky star block to the top -- with some people stopping at one and others contributing several. It's a lot of fun to look at the variety of degrees of 'wonk' -- and the variety of fabrics -- and try to guess who made which star.

I took on the process of puzzling it all into one quilt, as well as quilting and binding. Those two steps got a bit of a short-shift, since my free time took a big cut recently -- but the end result still looks good to me.

The quilted lines are a challenge to see, but I chose to go with 'random' lines across the body of the quilt, and rather than using a stark/contrasting white thread, I chose a red/blue/green/yellow thread for both the top and bottom of the quilt. The result is nice, but actually more subtle than I'd intended.

I had planned to do a thicker binding, but I fell into the familiar pattern and wound up with the same width I always use (a 2.25 piece folded in half) -- something I only noticed when I had already ironed it and attached it to half the quilt. So, although it wasn't quite as intended (and as usual, my ability to 'catch' the binding the second time around wasn't good), life is too busy to undo it now.

We've come a long way since October/November 2014 -- from a stack of blue fabric and a bunch of scraps, to this beautiful quilt:
It was a blast to see come together, and like I said, I love seeing all the different stars and different personalities working together in one gorgeous quilt.

This one took longer than any of our previous quilts -- mostly because it was waiting on me to get things done! -- but I can't wait to see what we come up with this year. The first couple business meetings are out of the way and we'll be getting back to sewing and quilting in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment