09 February 2017

Tall Tales

Despite the 16 other quilty projects I should be working on, and the kitchen re-do I should be working on, and of course, a dozen other things I could be doing, I am starting a new project.

Big surprise, right?

I have my reasons. Namely, basting is a long, time consuming process that can't always be easily interrupted. Paper piecing bocks can be put away at any time with very little issue.

But also, have you seem the Tall Tales blocks floating around Pinterest and Instagram? They are adorable. (To go directly to the page with the pattern, click here and look for a link towards the end of Kate Basti's bio.)

So, I broke out the secret stash of Wee Wander fabrics I bought about 2 years ago --bought with nursery decoration thoughts, but turned out not to be right for my project. I've been sitting on these fabrics, waiting for something prefect.


Well, I don't know if these are perfect, but I'm liking it so far.



Although the pattern is a paper pieced project, I am faking it. With only one pattern printed off (not for lack of trying), I'm using it as a guide, but not sewing right through the paper as I should be for best accuracy. So, there is some unintended wonk to my blocks. It doesn't bother me, but I want it to be clear that any wonk is all on me and my non-standard technique -- not due to the pattern or the proper paper piecing technique.

Each block comes together fairly quickly, maybe 15-20 minutes including time to fussy cut the cover. Depending on the day, that can sometimes be accomplished while the toddler is deeply involved in some independent play.

And right now, that is my kind of sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment