09 March 2017

When I'm Not Posting...

I'm trying to work on piecing those delicious Ombre Blocks right now, but I keep being distracted by what I call 'real life.'

The kitchen re-do is coming along. The pantry came home on Monday afternoon -- and I'm slowly working on getting the dishes out of my bedroom and back into the kitchen. It's becoming one of those annoying/wonderful projects where it seems like every piece I put into the kitchen means a little tweak of organization and a little bit more of a puzzle for later. That entertains me greatly, but it's also very time consuming.

Because I'm organizing the kitchen -- which will eventually lead to reorganizing the living room -- I'm also organizing everywhere else. It just boils over into every other room. It's not ideal -- finishing one room at a time would be better, right? -- but it's kind of fun.

Organizing is part finding the right home for things, part getting rid of things I don't actually use.
Image may contain: 1 person, indoor

Above is a rather shady representation of most of the baby clothes my kiddo has worn from size 6 month to size 24 month. Not all -- I already sent some of the best stuff off to a friend. I ultimately donated 6 of the diaper sized boxes worth of clothes. I kept 1 of the green bins stuffed full of things in case another friend has another child. I have two much smaller piles for two other friends, and a very small pile of 'sentimental' pieces. But a whole lot of it went off to a clothing bank.

Whew -- that cleared up a whole lot of space in the kiddo's closet!

While I was digging around in there, I also started working on another project: trying to organize what's coming up in the kiddo closet. I have some hand-me-downs and some 'oh, it's on clearance!' pieces waiting for the kiddo to grow into them. Problem is, I end up shopping with no idea what else I already have in that size.

There are some digital closet organization apps (did you know that? I didn't!), but I went with a simple solution:



These quick cell phone snaps of the various piles, with tiny scribbled notes, help me keep tabs on what I've got and what I need. That 3T pile is looking pretty good -- lots of long sleeve shirts (more than fit in the photo) but no shorts and only 3 short sleeve tops. In addition to the photos, I typed up a quick memo on my phone with the numbers of long sleeve, short sleeve, pants, shorts, coats, and other items per size. So now I have a quick visual of the amounts and colors, as well as a more detailed count.

I'm pretty thrilled with this quick solution, and I think it's going to save me a lot of wondering as I'm shopping the clearance racks and sales.

My other organization steps so far aren't digital -- chalk board labels abound -- but I'm having a blast doing it, and most of it is much easier to accept kiddo style help!

Then again, kiddo style help with some sewing is beginning to work better too...

No comments:

Post a Comment