28 February 2012

De-Clutter: Nail Polish Edition

In college, I went a little wild for nail polish. At the high point, I had nearly 100 bottles in a variety of mostly loud colors.

Until a few months before my wedding, I'd never spent more than $2 on a bottle of nail polish. When I finally did, I was surprised by the increase in quality. Which ultimately means I stopped using my cheap college collection and started buying slightly more expensive bottles instead.

Now days, my college collection mostly sits in a box and attracts dust while I wear the same longer lasting ones over and over again.

A year ago, I forced myself to toss anything that was beyond help - including three bottles that had completely dried up inside.

Which left me with this:


With work this week keeping me too worn out to turn on the sewing machine, I thought a quick purge of my nail polish stash would be easy and painless.

The goal: If I haven't worn it in a year, it goes.

Almost. Some of those colors were sentimental favorites (the one I wore on my first date with my husband). I let myself have three sentimental keepers. Everything else that I hadn't worn or that was gunky, dried out, or full of cat hair (how?) went away.

Leaving me with this:

Ah. Much more manageable.

While I'm sure there will come a day when I talk myself into bringing another one home, right now I'm feeling a little lighter. I will never be a minimalist, but it feels good to let go of some of the stuff that's been taking up space in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment