24 February 2012

Shelf in Progress

Confession time.

Just about every surface in my office/creative space is covered.

Projects in progress. Projects I haven't started yet. An empty iced tea glass. Three tape measures. 11 bottles of nail polish. A belt. A box of pins for basting. Stationary. Baby clothes (not for me). A quilt waiting for binding. Three mini quilts waiting for backs. Thread I haven't put away. 10 tiny sample bottles of perfume.

For over a year, I've been wanting to add a little shelf to the open space on the wall next to my computer's tower so that those 10 tiny bottles could have a better home. The spot I wanted to fill was only about 8 inches square, so it can't be much of a shelf.

When I was digging through some give away items and found this:
 (Poor photography. It was about 11:30 pm. This will be an ongoing issue.) 
Pros: price (free), size (6 by 5). 

Cons: frame color, greeting card background, and I'm not sold on the depth. The frame is 2 inches deep, but there's only a little more than an inch 'shelf' space in front of the glass.

I didn't want to go to the effort of painting the frame if the depth wasn't going to work, so I attempted a minimal change by adding a piece of scrap fabric and re-positioning the hanger.

Three minutes of effort and I had this:



Better. The fabric is an improvement, but I'm still not a fan of yellow.

On the wall. Ignore the wallpaper design. Please.
In place, the background fights with my beloved green-framed cross stitch.

The yellow frame doesn't go with my green frame either.

Actually, it doesn't work well with any of the things on the wall.


I'm still going to give it a chance to grow on me.

If it stays, I'm coming back with some paint and a different background.

For the moment though, I'm going to enjoy having a little bit more space on my desk.



What do you think - make it work or look for another solution?

No comments:

Post a Comment