13 June 2014

Black & White and Red All Over

While the Sweet Serenade quilt is from me to the future Baby D, Greg had an idea for something a little bolder and nerdier for the bound-to-be-a-future-nerd Baby D. We picked out a few fabrics that he thought both parents and baby might like -- mostly in black and white -- and added some Star Trek fabric (not the right generation, truthfully, but we didn't have time to order something else). I searched Pinterest until my creativity was stirred, mainly by these: 1, 2, (links go to the sites, not Pinterest).


I think the result is a lot of fun -- and I love the bold contrasts and graphic elements. I probably wouldn't have chosen most of these fabrics without Greg's help, but I love the result. I chose 3 inches as a width for the strips - and sewed together all our choices until I was happy with the width of the strip top. Then, I took a completely random approach to where I cut the strip top open and how wide of a focal fabric (Star Trek piece) I added. I had initially planned on adding a wider piece with this piece being the left over, but it was much too large (nearly 11 inches) while this started at about 8 inches.

For backing, we went with a red minky fabric - mostly to go with the Star Trek fabric, but it looks good with the other colorful prints as well. I love the soft finish minky gives to blankets and quilts, but I am not particularly confident working with it.
Working with minky is sometimes a real slippery problem and sometimes goes smoothly. After a bad experience last week (which I have yet to share), I did a lot of straight pinning on this one before sewing the two layers together. I not only pinned around the edges (which I always do when working with minky or other slick fabrics) but also in several places throughout the center of the layers. While this extra pinning did almost end up with one pin getting left in when I turned the layers outside-out, it was hugely helpful in keeping everything lined up. I didn't have any issues with things sliding around or being out of place -- a huge improvement over the last one which wound up off by several inches after only a few stitches!

I have yet to wash it - which honestly, I'm terrified of doing, but better an issue pop up on my watch than on the new parents' time! Once it's washed, it's ready to join the rest of the Welcome Baby D package. Assuming the washing on this turns out alright, I have two snaps to install, two bibs to wash, and then some wrapping up to do and the Welcome Baby D package will be ready for delivery. Whew!








No comments:

Post a Comment