20 May 2015

Quilt #28: Flannel + Minky Quick Quilt

I haven't got a cute name for this quilt, or a story to go with it, but this is one of the little quilts I whipped up for future nursery needs.
The flannel print is interrupted by some patchwork-ish blocks -- all the scraps from my failed initial attempt at this quilt. See -- saving all those scraps can be a good thing!

Although it is backed in minky fabrics, I did use batting to make it extra thick. This makes it a little harder to snuggle with, but it should work better for a floor mat or play space -- which is one of my worries right now.
This is my first time really quilting on a minky back;  in the past most of my minky backed projects have been finished around the edges or given very minimal quilting. I had worked it up in my head that quilting against a minky background would be a real challenge, but this project wasn't bad at all. The relatively small size might have been a factor in that. This was also my first time putting binding on a minky backed quilt, which also turned out not to be as challenging as I thought. Whew!

So in the end, for way less stress than I thought I was taking on, I wound up with a thick and semi-snuggly blanket that I think will work well for a play mat area and eventually as a blanket / napping option.

No comments:

Post a Comment