06 May 2015

Quilt #27: Autumn Woods Patchwork + Panel Quilt

I realized last week that I put this quilt away without taking post-wash photos or noting that I'd actually finished it. So, I pulled it out of storage and ran outside the next day for a quick, somewhat wrinkled, photo shoot! 

I have bought and used two different patterns of Kate and Birdie Paper Co fabrics -- one for the Christmas Star Quilt and one for this Autumn Woods quilt. I complained about the fabric a little bit while working on the star quilt, as it seemed to ravel a bit more than the other fabrics I was mixing it with. This time around I had no such troubles, but I did work faster and I only used same-brand fabric on the top. Whether the issues were mine for being too slow to work or due to some less than ideal quality fabric that first time, I still adore the prints and patterns used in these lines, and I suspect there will be more Kate and Birdie Paper Co fabrics in my future.

This quilt really came to be thanks to a sale at Southern Fabric -- one of the daily deals if I remember correctly. I knew I liked the fabric, and it was such a great deal I couldn't resist. I was restricted to only one charm pack, so when I saw there were coordinating panels, I jumped at the chance to add one to the order. The whole stack sat in my 'waiting for inspiration' pile until I came up with the perfect reason to start on it -- knowing I was pregnant but not yet knowing the gender. Everything about this looked like a baby-quilt-to-be to me, without being tied in to any specific colors that might say something about anticipated gender. It was perfect, and gave me something to do instead of pacing the floor with nerves.

It came together incredibly quickly, and I managed to have binding fabric in stash -- so all in all, the project really flew together. Although it isn't as colorful as the rest of the things I'm working on for the nursery, it is one of my favorite things in the room so far.

It quilted and washed like a dream -- no issues at all. As far as I can tell, it seems well constructed and should be able to hold up to lots of trips through the wash, though I am looking forward to learning if I'm right on that! I've given away so many quilts, I hope I'm not about to learn I ought to be double stitching the binding on or something else equally embarrassing to learn this late in the process!


No comments:

Post a Comment