22 May 2015

Ranting, Fabric, and More To Do

The rain might be turning everything else into lakes and mud, but there are still a few bright spots popping up this spring.


I am supposed to be interviewing pediatricians this month, so we can choose one we like. Except my insurance won't let me make an appointment with one until I have a child on the insurance plan, which can't happen until after said child is born. I've been told most pediatricians want to see the kid within a week of birth -- and sometimes even before they leave the hospital -- so it seems like being on the doctor's radar before birth is complete might be important. I don't understand why this is so complicated, and I can't find anyone else complaining about it so I feel like I must be missing some important step that makes this all work.

My energy level is way up compared to earlier in the pregnancy -- I've hit 15,000 steps in a day more than once this week! -- but I am actually accomplishing less. I'm struggling to make myself buckle down and accomplish what I can do, and having no trouble at all walking around the house stressing over all the things that I can't -- or that I know won't get done in time anyway. 

I know I have a million projects I need to finish -- some of them in the next week -- but I really want to start something that's absolutely selfish sewing. I have the project picked out, and the fabric picked out, but I don't feel like I can give myself permission to start on it when I have so much other needing done. I also wonder if letting myself do a block or two of utterly selfish sewing would cheer me up a little and give me a boost of energy to get back to what I need to be doing. 
But ooh, look at the pretties!

Could it please stop raining? I don't know that there's ever been a time my area needed the rain less and the sun more! Also, I'm supposed to have a baby shower in the yard next weekend. At this point, the grass is so over saturated that even the lightest of guests would sink in if they sat on a lawn chair. We're going to need at least 3 days of sun before we risk it, and I don't think we're going to get that. I've got to hunt for a back-up venue this weekend on Saturday, thank-you-work.

That said, I am still glad to be working (even if I could in theory use the time at home to finish up some projects). I had thought next week would bring my first day off, but I learned today that there's enough in the project that I can do that I can go ahead for at least a partial day. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep it up, but I'm hopeful for 3-4 more weeks before I'm no longer useful enough to justify turning up on a daily basis.

And, on the very exciting side, massive progress has been made this week on the house and things are beginning to seem as if we might manage most of the important tasks in the remaining 2-ish months we have left before life gets a little too hectic for much else!

  • Living room: 
    • Now: 1 small bookcase to find a home for
    • Long Term: new window treatments 
  • Kitchen: 
    • Now: 1 old cat ladder/condo/tree to remove 
    • Long Term: new window treatments, 2-4 chairs needed
  • Our Bedroom: 
    • Now: 2 laundry hampers + additional items to take out for donation; soap the changing table drawers
    • Soon: Swap out my nightstand for the co-sleeper; change art over changing table
    • Long Term: Finish our quilts; new mattress; new pillows
  • Our Bathroom: 
    • Now: clean counter top; old nightstand needs put our for donate
  • Guest Bathroom: 
    • Now: how to get rid of broken printer? (yes, it is living in the shower, along with a few more things I'm not sure what else to do with)
    • Soon: Replace broken towel bar with something safer
  • Sewing Room Nursery/Playroom: 
    • Now: Find homes for the remaining 'stuff' in the room; serious sweep and mop; 
    • Soon: Bring in mattress; begin updating art/wall hangings; rug and other final decor items
    • Long Term: do something about the door not staying open when desired
I know that still looks like a lot written out like that, but if you'd seen the list I had on Wednesday night you might be as excited as I am at the progress. The entire sewing room is now located in the living room, and it's not quite as cramped as I'd feared. The new cat condo/tree/whatever is in and he's already begun using it. And honestly, walking into the future nursery and seeing mostly space instead of homeless furniture I couldn't make work in there is the most amazing feeling I've got access to right now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment