23 January 2016

Part 3: Mini Quilt : Panda-monium

In theory, we are taking turns going 'to bed' with the baby so we both get nights off. In practice, this doesn't work quite as well it should. Still, it has worked a few times -- each of which gives me about 2 hours to work uninterrupted.

I used one of these sessions to finish up the Panda-monium mini quilt.

Sadly, the weather has been completely uncooperative for getting natural lighting pictures of it, so this afternoon I snatched a quick shot while the baby was sleeping.

The most obvious quilting is the exterior echo I did in the background, but I also did some tracing around the white part of the body, the eyes, nose, and on the inside and outside of the bamboo. It's easier to see in person, but I think it looks pretty good. I really like the way the bamboo 'pops' in person.

The scrap I chose for the backing doesn't do much to show off that extra quilting either. I should have chosen something with a smaller pattern, but I was in the get-it-done mindset.

Straight-cut binding to finish it -- and the perfect color and pattern I think.

As with my previous pattern based mini (Hazel Hedgehog) there's certainly a little room for improvement in my precision work... but I love this panda. Not just for sentimental reasons either.

I still need to find a good way to safely display these in the nursery. Everything I've tried seems unsafe for grabby little hands. I'm beginning to think I should hang them from the ceiling or on the closet door or something to keep them farther away -- unless I come up with a really child friendly option. Maybe snaps or Velcro to a bigger 'board' that can be safely wall mounted? Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment