17 April 2014

Bluebird Star Top

Whoops - I meant to share this before I got into all the flooring stuff, but instead the post - much like the quilt top - has been sitting around waiting for me to get my act in motion again!

It didn't take long to finish up the outer most edges of the Star top. I think I spent more time trying to 'randomly' arrange the prints between the four sides than I did actually sewing them together or attaching them to the rest of the top.
I'm a little disappointed about the way the borders came together. It would have been happier if they'd ended up nearer to square so the corner blocks could appear to belong to either horizontal or vertical border. I almost accomplished that in the lower left corner, but the rest are very misplaced.

I don't want to pick the two horizontal sides off, open them up and increase the seam allowance on each a little bit to get them nearer square - but I think I would like the outcome better if I did that. 

I'm going to sit on it and think for a while. I think it'll look better, but it'll be a hassle and a pain. Still, looking at the picture as I type does have me wishing things were a little squarer. 
Using my trusty Paint program, I've pulled the corner blocks in the top row in a little to square up - and it looks better overall. The second block from each side does seem a little more obviously short though, doesn't it? On the bottom right I pulled a little from each of the last three seams and it looks better than the to row - and much better than without. Hmm... Maybe I don't have to take the whole thing apart to make it look a little better? 

Oh dear...


Meanwhile, how's this for a back?


I picked this darling aqua/white hedgehog flannel up on clearance a couple weeks ago (right after I placed the order for the charm pack). It'll be a close call whether I got enough to back it without piecing the back since the finished top is so close in size to the yardage size - but I think it's going to be adorable.

Now, where did I put my seam ripper...

No comments:

Post a Comment