30 April 2014

Quilt #21: Bluebird Park Star

My 21st quilt "Bluebird Park Star" is my first finish of 2014! 

I fell in love with the Story Book Star quilt the moment I saw it over at Moda Bake Shop. The recipe is from Kristan Kremer at Doodle Do Designs - and I'm also very grateful to Moda Bake Shop for introducing me to her blog. So many beautiful things there to drool over -- and I really want to try my hand at her Scrappy Little Heart Block tutorial. 

I'm probably a year early in making this quilt (if it goes to who I have in mind) but I just couldn't bring myself to wait any longer; so the moment the fabric arrived, I started searching for coordinating yardage and mentally arranging the blocks in the layout. Kristan's tutorial was easy to follow - even the new-to-me steps of making the 'star' pieces. Mine aren't perfect but I'm pretty happy with them -- and I really want another reason to make this quilt again and try to improve them. 

Of course, I struggled to get good photos of this quilt; the light colored background that I used really reflected the sun back at me and made both photos and editing a real challenge. 

I'm really pleased with how this turned out - and the flannel back is too adorable and wonderfully soft. It could have been more coordinated looking over all if I had used Bluebird Park yardage, but truthfully, I'm very happy the way it turned out even with the yardage pieces being different. I think I especially like the green that we chose for the little border and the binding. 

The quilt finished at just about 41" square. For quilting, I kept things pretty simple with straight lines and stitch in the ditch, though this is another where I think a stipple or other wandering stitch would work really well. There were six charm blocks left over, as well as a little left over yardage since I over bought slightly, so I'm working on coming up with small coordinating project (maybe a bib or two) to go with it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment