08 May 2014

Multi Starburst Bound

After a needless prewash (oh the difference good fabric makes!) for the binding fabric, I was ready to get some icing on this project. I wanted a binding that would be comparatively dark against the aquas used in the top, so I chose a brilliant piece of fabric with tones varying between a bold blue and a deep purple. I wish I'd grabbed the name of the fabric when I was getting it; I'd love to add a little more of it to my stash.

Although I'm still not the fastest at making or applying binding, this application went more smoothly and more quickly than my last one -- and with no problems from the sewing machine to bog things down either!
I think the dark purple/blue binding was the perfect choice. The darker fabrics - especially the entire bottom left star burst - really pop now. A lighter binding could have taken this into a sickly sweet (or overly pink) area, but I think the darker color keeps it a little bolder and fresher.
The dark binding also goes well with the very scrappy back. I had questioned whether the black and floral print in the bottom left was the right choice to add into the back - but with the dark binding, I think it just comes together and finally looks like it belongs.

I quilted the top in a barely off white thread - my favorite - but I did the final stitching of the binding process in a color changing aqua/pink/purple thread.
The color seems bold on the spool - but it's hardly noticeable against the color changing of the binding fabric. This isn't a disappointment, but it's a little bit of a surprise.

It's a little more noticeable in this photo (inside with as many lights on as possible). It's slightly easier to see with the eye than the camera, but still nothing that pops out quite as much as I'd expected.

Unfortunately, my inability to catch the binding on the back is also more noticeable. I've been working on improving that - and did fairly well on my last one - but this one wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped. I overheard a conversation about a foot that might make this easier - and I need to find out if this is really possible. Failing to catch the back drives me up the wall, and I'm more than willing to look into buying a new foot if it'll help in this area.
This might be my loudest, scrappiest, and most random quilt yet - possibly ever - but I'm thrilled with the outcome so far. Hopefully I'll be back with a successful 'finish' post in the next day or two - though I think to be safe, I'll be using color catchers in my wash again, just in case the pink background used on two of the starbursts still has some color to leak.

No comments:

Post a Comment