06 October 2014

Stars Aligning

After pointing out all the stars that shouldn't be near each other, I figured I'd better run a test layout on this quilt before I started sewing things together. It took a couple attempts, but within a few minutes I had something that seemed fairly balanced and kept all the 'too similar' blocks from being too near each other.
 Using the test layout as a guide, it took only a couple minutes to sew everything together into a completed top.
When I started this quilt, I was worried about the balance of light and dark colors. I think that turned out alright in the end -- the unexpectedly hard part was placing the smaller stars in a way that kept everything fairly balanced. I think there's a little more white space between the bottom center blue and the right side small star in a star than what would be ideal, but this was the best option overall -- and the area where I spent the most time during my test layout process.

I still love this top -- but I'm a little disappointed to learn that it doesn't get easier to take photos of even when outside! I think that's one of the biggest drawbacks to working with white -- I just don't know how to photograph it!

I've already got a back made, so I think it's just a matter of finding time to clear off my desk (or floor) and get this basted.

No comments:

Post a Comment