30 October 2014

Christmas Star Quilted

Well, laying on the floor and working with painter's tape didn't really work to baste things smoothly, but by the time I figured that out, I wasn't interested in unpicking all those stitches and starting over. I know that's the wrong choice, and certainly the lazy one, but I just don't have 12 hours to spend unpicking all that stitching, or another who-knows-how-many hours to baste and quilt again. So, I'm really hoping that a good washing or two will help make the bumps a little less noticeable.

You can kind of see what I did so far - though I really fought to get photos of this one. I need to sign up for another photography class if I'm going to keep working with such light fabrics! Probably should anyway.



Anything that shows off the fabric really hides the quilting. Fortunately, that's not the case in person.

The quilting is even harder to take a photo of on the back side, but when you can see it, it looks great! I'm actually more excited about the turnout than I thought I would be. I'd intended to go heavy on the quilting, stopped thanks to all the issues I was having -- and I think it was the right breaking point.


It's hard to tell, but there's a tiny star in the center of the quilt, a couple square 'frames,' a larger star that matches the outline of the quilt pattern, another large rectangle frame -- and a few rather wonky stars scattered in the corners and large triangles of the background. I tried to branch out a little, rather thank sticking with straight lines. I like it, but it was a lot of work for my machine to handle on such a large quilt.

I think I'm happy with it, though I do wish a couple of the worst spots had quilted a little more easily (you can see a pucker in the lower right corner, where the background square meets the dark brown triangle point). I do think they'll be better after washing, but if not, maybe I can selectively unpick and do a little bit of fixing there.

Next up, binding of course. I'm not certain, but I think I'm going to take a chance and go with something very different. I'm leaning towards this:
In little pieces, I think it works well. I'm hoping the same is true once it's attached all the way around. We'll know soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment