10 February 2015

My Wonky Star Sampler - Quilted

I managed to do half this quilting before the holiday rush took over my life -- but I couldn't decide how I wanted to deal with the 'inside' of my star. With free motion quilting still a challenge on my poor machine (the feed dogs still don't drop properly and I still need a different foot), I decided just to embrace the challenge and go with some more or less straight line 'shading' kind of lines.

It's a challenge to see what I did.
I chose a point to act as the 'center' of my star and added lines from the outline of the star toward the center. Some points have a lot of lines, others only three or four. I didn't want to be too structured in what I was doing -- and I didn't want to overwhelm the center area with too much quilting. It's already a little thicker than I'd intended in the center area, but I think it'll loosen up a little with a wash or two.

The back shows the texture a little better -- at least for my camera. In person, it's a little less noticeable on the back, competing as it is with this amazingly cute owl/bunting fabric.

I don't have a thing in my stash that is suitable for binding. The fabrics that are the right colors are the wrong texture -- or the wrong scale and just don't work in such tiny pieces. I'm debating on color -- a pop of serious aqua could tone down the pink, but on the other hand, I think it would be completely adorable with a pink/white dot binding. Then again, who knows, maybe I'll throw all caution to the wind and go with something a little less prominent, maybe a limey green or a pop or yellow? I suspect I'll have to take this one with me to the store to fabric shop, there are just too many options!

Sadly, my next shopping excursion is probably not until next month! Oh well, there's no rush -- and I certainly could just leave it up on my wall for a while. It makes me happy just to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment