19 June 2016

Inherited Dresden Plate Quilt

Out of all the options I could come up with for the two extra blocks needed to finish the top of the Dresden Plate quilt I've picked up, I finally chose to go with paper pieced butterflies.
It gives me a chance to dig through my scrap containers -- thankfully organized by color -- as well as trying to pull from the coordinating scraps I received with the quilt blocks.

I love paper piecing, but I am not particularly fast at it. My husband was kind enough to give me almost two hours of baby free time so I was able to finish my first of (probably) four butterflies.
This is my first try at Lillyella's wonderful free butterfly charm blocks. Although there are three different patterns available, I've chosen to do multiples of the Pepper pattern. Although I had made this particular butterfly in a hope to coordinate with the Dresden plates, it is far, far too bright lemony a yellow and simply does not work. So, I'm sure it'll come back as something else cute later, but not with this particular quilt.

I'm thinking one in yellow, one in oranges, one in tan, and one in green. I'd like to do some pinks or blues, but I'm trying to stick near the palette given in the Dresden blocks.
The (new) yellow butterfly will use the golden/yellow from the plates and the future border, as well as some of the tan-ish fabrics from the plates. The tan butterfly will also use at least some of the fabric straight from these scraps. I have hopes to use the dark brown fabric from the plates with two new oranges for the orange butterfly -- and hopefully I can find some really coordinating oranges! The green will be pulled completely from scrap, so it will be the least matchy-matchy of the set.

I can't wait to see how this turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment