18 March 2013

Playing with Meatloaf

As I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of meat loaf. Actually, I'm not really a huge fan of meat. But ever since finding the recipe for meat loaf with Stove Top stuffing instead of bread crumbs, meatloaf has been a bit of a fixture around here.

The first several times we made it were fairly simple, more or less following the recipe that worked for our oven/altitude:

1 lb ground beef
1 box stuffing
2 eggs
1/4 cup water

Then I came across a pin for a gluten free Italian seasoned meatloaf with tomato sauce and cheese in it. Rather than messing with something I knew was working, I just added the concept to what we were already doing:


Provolone on top was not the best choice (it's what we had) but the addition of the parmesan to the meat was amazing. And I even survived the tomato sauce.

So, on nights we're feeling a bit more adventuresome, we add:
1/4-1/2 cup parmsesan cheese
the top it with some garlic/bold tomato sauce.

That worked so well, it got me wondering what else we could do with the meat loaf recipe. So, I came home with a jar of salsa and went to town. With the addition of about half the jar of salsa to the meat (and cutting out all the water), we wound up with the best version yet!


Topped with a little fresh salsa and guacamole - and I could eat it all day!

When we added barbeque sauce or the tomato sauce, we added the sauce about 5-10 minutes before the loaf was finished baking. I would not recommend doing that with the salsa version, just add it to the meat, then do a fresh topping when you're ready to eat.

I can't wait til spring to try it with fresh salsa.

But yes, now I'm still wondering what else I can do to this dish to make it a little more interesting... Any ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment