21 November 2013

Pinterest Challenge: Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup

The Inspiration: Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup from FoodieCrush.com

The Attempt:
I didn't have fish sauce on hand, and I decided to skip the peanut butter and brown sugar (my pesky dislike for sweet/savory combinations again - plus a very strong dislike of savory nut dishes).

Since we didn't have any rice on hand today, I started some quinoa about the same time I added the thawed peas to the slow cooker. I had some frozen cubes of red chili and cilantro to use in this - though in the end I chickened out on the red chili. Rightfully so! Without the brown sugar or peanut butter, this was hot enough already without the additional chili.



Result:
Initially, we both said this was something we liked the taste of and wanted to do again - but I noticed that neither one of us ate any of the left over soup... So, maybe it wasn't quite such a hit. Even though it was spicy, the flavors were good - and it was very easy since there were no extra pots to wash or anything. As it cooled, the soup did separate a little, which made it look much less appetizing. Also (probably because I cut so many ingredients without adding anything back in), it did feel like it was missing something. I'll probably try something similar as a jumping off point again, but I'm not sure this will be going into the typical rotation. But, if I ever need spicy soup for a crowd (no left overs), this is something I'd consider doing again (though then I would probably include the peanut butter, or some of the other ingredients I left out in this attempt).



No comments:

Post a Comment