18 November 2013

Quilted in Two Directions

Even though it felt like a lot of straight lines to get through, finishing up the quilting on my semi-sampler quilt only took a couple more hours.

I decided to go with three line sets in the long direction. I debated about going for a fourth, but so far I'm enjoying the way three looks.
I did 'end' the quilt with a quick stitch right at the edge of the border. This will probably get cut off or covered up when I add the binding, but I hope this discourages the solid fabric from running and unraveling quite as much as it did during the quilting. The second batch of grey I picked up, which is on the outside of the quilt top, has been a little prone to running than the original batch on the interior pieces was.
I do wonder if I should have added a center to that O. I know what it's supposed to be, but I sometimes read it as 'Live' instead of 'Love.' I don't think I'll hand applique one in place at this point! At least it's a good message whichever way it's read...
My lines aren't exactly straight - when will that ever happen!? But I think it generally looks alright. There were a few places where too many layers overlapped and stitching through them was a little bit of a challenge, but for the most part slow and steady seems to have worked.
And while the blue/multi dots aren't a perfect match to the cream/multi dots I added to make the front sample blocks, I think they work well together.

Now it's on to binding. I have a little bit of the two additional red/cream prints (the red text used on the back and the red border on the front). I'm hoping the two together will be enough for the binding. Looking at the pictures now, I'm wondering about using the blue/multi dot - which I certainly have enough of. Hmm... The ultimate decision will depend on whether the reds choice is even workable with how little I have left, but if both are an option I'll have to find a way to test out both options and see which looks better.

No comments:

Post a Comment