25 July 2014

Resistance? Not So Much...

I know as well as anyone that I ought to be working on the second top for our bedroom quilts. I even managed to get out the pieces last night - only to determine that with two computers still in my work space at the moment, I don't really have enough room to lay out all the pieces I need. It's a flimsy excuse - but in all honesty, despite the pressing (self imposed) deadline, I am also having a hard time buckling down and doing the same top I already did.

So, I'm giving myself a respite - while I finish up the last things before I can move back to a one computer work room - and started playing around with a Kate & Birdie Paper Co. 'Winter's Lane' layer cake I picked up after Christmas 2013. I guess all that 'Christmas in July' talk has gotten to me after all!

I'm still toying with whether I'm making a lap quilt or a tree skirt, but I've narrowed in on the design I'm working towards and started cutting the layer cake pieces (10x10) into 5x5 pieces. I've got a couple more cuts to make before I'm done, but it feels like progress -- especially considering I managed to get this done in 15 minutes while dinner was being cooked.

--

I didn't stop there though. I actually managed to turn on the sewing machine and whip up 8 nine patch blocks. They are badly in need of ironing, but I haven't managed that yet!
Winter's Lane fabrics don't quite come in four color stories, which is what I really ought to have had, so I'm working with a blue (above), a brown (below), a red/white, and a neutral - which is mainly the lighter toned pieces from the browns and blues. I'm not sure how it'll all work together yet, it might be a bit more unbalanced than I'd like - but we'll see.

I'm off to purchase a neutral low volume or solid to coordinate with this, and maybe by Monday I'll have a top done. Then again, maybe I'll work on Greg's quilt instead if I hurry up and get this older computer out of my own way...

My next quilt group meeting is coming up in a couple weeks and this would be an easier one to take to work on there than the massive bulk of our bedroom quilts. But... I may not be able to hold off that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment