04 July 2014

Update: Random Reflections 1 of 2 (part 2)

As predicted, it only took a few minutes to turn my 4 sets of reflections (and one lonely non-set strip) into a finished top!
The lonely non-set piece is on top of the shed roof
My goal was a twin size blanket, but I took my measurements off the "twin" I've been sleeping under for the last 7+ years. I suspect it was larger than any twin ought to be. That's okay. It's the size I'm used to, and I had just enough fabric to make it work, so I don't mind the size. (I say that now, but when it comes time to quilt it, I may not feel so happy.)

The outcome is so large it's nearly impossible to get a good photo of -- and it is still in need of another trip through the iron -- but since we had no rain this morning, only a little wind, and I had a helper and a couple hours to make this happen, I thought I'd better jump on getting photos before I lost out on all that near perfect line up!

I didn't take a photo of it in the bedroom yet - that'll wait until 2 of 2 (his) is at least top finished as well - but it looks perfect in there. It does make me think that I really need to be looking for more navy/deep green to go with his or it's going to be too light compared to his painting... But that's a problem for another week. For now, I'm just celebrating how great this looks - and how happy I am to have made such progress all in one week!
Now I have to decide if I'm going to start on his top or the back for mine. I'd like to get the back side of this covered (basted at least) as soon as possible as it is having some unraveling issues (the solid), but I'd also like to start on his top right away and put off the backs. It's become quite clear that I might not have enough fabric to back either of these (without going really scrappy, which I'm not interested in). I do have some bolts of things that might work, and I suspect I still have one vintage sheet, which might be able to do mine. His is going to require something thicker, but I might be able to work with that... I just want to back these in something really durable...


No comments:

Post a Comment