19 January 2015

Frustration

It's been a long time since I've updated about the Xs and Os quilt. Mostly because I've been so disappointed and frustrated that it didn't work out as I'd hoped.

Well, I did my best to fix the issues, despite not liking what that required, and I finally worked up the courage to wash it again. My biggest hope was not to reveal more issues. My next, was that the washing would help remove some of the poly batting threads that had worked through to the back in the newly, heavily quilted areas.

Sadly, I was disappointed on both counts.

First, the back:

Those light spots are more heavily quilted -- but most of what's making them so light is the poly batting that was pulled through when I quilted. I swapped to a smaller needle once I saw the issue, but it wasn't enough to stop this from happening. I don't know what to do, except go after the areas with tweezers, and I'm not sure I have the time for that.

I inspected this quilt closely as soon as I pulled it out of the dryer -- and if I'd seen any signs of issues, I wouldn't have gone outside for photos. Unfortunately, after the quilt fell off the fence, I noticed some issues I overlooked before.

This is the largest of the issues -- but upon getting back into the house, I promptly found two others without much effort and another spot that's going to do this on the next wash.

I'm crushed.

I could attempt to fix these issues. I could even run a 'fixing' zigzag quilting stitch over every single seam -- though that would be easier to do if I removed the binding again. The question is, is it worth it?

This is a beautiful quilt top. I really love it. But the level of frustration and anxiety surrounding it is becoming a challenge in and of itself. I know I could work on it -- I mean, my fixes aren't even noticeable from this far off, even though I thought they were massively ugly and noticeable.
Here's a close up of the ugliest fix (around the center of the picture). Not that bad, really.

I just don't know if it's worth the effort again. The solid background fabric is coming apart in places, almost running like tights or hose, and even the printed fabrics, which should have been a higher quality, are unraveling along seams and in centers of blocks. I knew my seam allowance was a little scant in a few places, but I think the whole quilt is in danger of coming undone -- even in places where I know it was fine earlier.

So I'm struggling. I don't want to give this one up, but at what point do you accept that something is just not meant to be?

Update:

At least Momo likes it. Maybe I can fix the issues enough to hold up, skip washing it, and let him use it for a while. He has a tendency to wear things out anyway -- thanks to those monster claws -- so that might be the best solution...

Not quite the outcome I'd hoped for -- but it is just not worth the effort to rip it all apart and start over. A big reminder to be more cautious with my seam allowances and that I should consider heavier quilting on important projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment