28 January 2015

Layout In Progress

Going from a just to look at everything layout to a think about sewing layout for my quilt group's wonky stars was a bit of a challenge. Thinking about how to piece all these together in a way I could actually sew meant avoiding challenging seams (no T or Y types please) and thinking a little 'blockier' than I had earlier when I was just looking at what we had.

It took a few attempts, but I eventually settled on something like this as a starting point.
Much of that white space can be filled in with excess blue background fabric -- or I can make a few more stars if needed. I do wish I had a couple more extra wonky ones, but at this point I'm afraid if I make any more, I'll have to make many more. This photo has all the stars already made it in, and I'm afraid any more sizable ones and I'll need to make enough to go either the length or the width of the grouping.

My plan at the moment is to assemble these into larger and larger groupings, something like this:
Then ultimately I should be able to piece the larger groupings together until I have strips and eventually a whole top. Or at least, that's the way it works in my head -- but there's sure a lot of building to happen between now and a finished top! The whole thing looks a little daunting, but it can be broken down into manageable chunks.

And yes, the holes in my current comforter remind me that I ought to be working on the quilts for our bed, but that is not a project easily broken into manageable chunks. So, my needs stay on the back burner for now while this project -- which fits my busy schedule at the moment -- seems promising. I seriously need to plan a day (or two) for some of my larger, less easily broken down projects to get some major momentum. Anyone want to plan a quilting local quilting retreat for late February or March?

No comments:

Post a Comment