25 January 2015

Quilt Group Stars (so far)

Last night I took the time to lay out all the stars my local quilt group has assembled and turned in so far -- not to work on a layout, because I don't think I can start that until every star is in -- but just to get an idea how things are looking so far.

The layout is fairly random, but I think it gives an idea of how things are coming together. Putting everything up on the wall, it felt like a lot of red/white/blue blocks, but looking again at the photos, it doesn't seem too heavily any color scheme in particular -- though I think there are a few colors that are a little under represented. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more pinky/purple tones and a tiny bit more green. I also think that there are a few really wonky ones -- and we could use a few more that are just as wonky.

I don't have an idea of finished size in mind. Right now this one could be close to 45-50" square with just a little bit of extra blue background to fill in the holes. I know I've got a couple more stars coming back to me soon, and I may make a few more just for kicks. Still, I'm really pleased with how it looks all together.

I know when working on something like this, especially as a group project, it is really easy to focus on one single block that seems out of place. Especially if it is yours -- or is that just me?? But look, all together, they look amazing. Sure, you can pick out each star, and yes, there are a few with a little more personality -- whether from the fabric choices (like including glittery fabric) or from the sewing choices -- but that's part of the magic in a quilt like this.

I love to imagine someone spending time laying on or under this quilt, trying to determine which star is their favorite... I know I can't pick just one!


No comments:

Post a Comment