14 April 2015

Patchwork + Panel + Binding

Last night, I was feeling a little lazy -- so instead of making bias binding, I made straight binding again. I don't think I like it quite as well as the bias binding, for all that it was faster to make, but it went on more smoothly than I remember. I'm relieved about that, and hoping I don't eventually regret my current laziness!

Since lazy was ruling the day -- though I could just as easily say 'thrifty' or 'pregnancy related simplifications' -- I picked a yellow print from my stash that happened not to clash with the yellows in the Autumn Woods prints in the quilt top and made it work. The prominent lighter tone in the binding fabric is a little light, but one of the two darker stripes is just about a perfect match to some of the yellows in the quilt top, and overall, I think it works out without being too perfectly matched.

Yellow has never really been my color, to wear or work with, but this quilt has made me a little bit more a fan of yellow. At least, in the right place and the right amount...

Actually getting the quilt bound required a few negotiations with Momo, who seems to think every project I work on should be his whenever he wants it. I managed to woo him over to 'his' quilt and get the rest of it bound while he was napping. Whew!

There was even enough daylight left for a few very quick pre-wash photos -- I absolutely love these longer days when things don't have to wrap up by 2 or 3 in order to get some daylight before bed. Spring is so my time of year!
The background color of the panel can look both tan and grey, depending on the lighting. I think the true color is probably a warm grey, but I always expect it to be tan until I look at the similarly toned charms, which I easily identify as grey. Tricky colors -- or can pregnancy make your color vision a little more questionable? I hope not! Picking colors is already a challenge I don't need to make any more challenging!

Compared to the panel piece, the backing is obviously grey, which might be part of why I struggle with the front panel color. I've never paid attention to what goes with yellow, but I think the internet has always liked yellow and grey. Now I see why!
One more once over to check for any flaws or missed stitches that'll cause me grief in the wash, then I think this one is ready to wash and dry! Hopefully if I wash it tonight I'll be able to grab some good photos in the morning when the light is a little kinder -- even though that means getting up earlier on my one day to sleep in. I'm so pleased with this one I think it'll be a compromise wor

No comments:

Post a Comment