09 April 2015

Sewing for Baby

I am really much more a quilter than a sewist, which is odd considering how much of my own closet was homemade during my childhood. But whatever the reason, I just never paid enough attention to my mother's sewing to make a connection with it, and today, even simple projects like pillow cases -- a middle ground between quilting and sewing if ever there was one, no? -- are daunting to me. The idea of sewing a garment for me is overwhelming, and while baby sizes sound harder (smaller is not always easier), perhaps the wearer will be more forgiving toward my skills than I am!

Sewing any kind of clothing is still a long ways off -- if I ever get up the courage -- but I do have a list of things I hope to DIY for the nursery -- and a few things I've started on already.

My Sew for Baby List (ours and others)
Sew for Babies List

 Fitted Sheets for Co-Sleeper mattress:

  • 2 cotton
  • 2 flannel
  • That's a total of 5... is that enough?
Zipper Front Sleep Sack (1 or 2)
Changing Pad Cover (1-2)
Quilts / Blankets 
  • I'm hoping for 2-3 from me, plus I know we'll get some as gifts. These will be play mats at first, but I'm hoping a couple will be large enough to use when the kid is old enough... 
Bibs (lots)
Wipes
  • single weight flannel
  • double weight flannel
  • other?
Wash Cloths
  • flannel/cuddle fabric
  • flannel/texture fabric
  • flannel/terry cloth
Hooded Towels 
  • 2 for us
  • 2 for gifts
Leg warmers
  • Okay, maybe these don't work? Maybe it's all hype? But they look cute, so I want to make a couple and at least test them out. 
Texture 'lovie' kind of blankets 
  • for us
  • for gifts
I'm sure I'll think of more as I keep working, and I'm sure I won't accomplish it all before July gets here, but this is a beginning. 

I started typing up my master 'to do' list and I know there's no way I'm going to get it all done by July or before, but I hope we can manage most of it. Things like the biggest parts of child-safety checking the house can probably wait a few months (since I'm fairly certain kids start out less than mobile) but other things like deep cleaning the fridge or getting a dresser for baby clothes are pretty important. I guess I know what I'll be doing in most of my spare time! 




No comments:

Post a Comment