01 April 2015

Embracing It

Quilting is at least partly art, so we occasionally embrace imperfections and make them part of the overall design. At least, I do...

It started off going so well. Things were coming together quickly, I was ironing all my pieces, even using the cutting mat to do all my trimming so things would be square... and then, it was nothing like square and it was too late to change anything.

So, it's a little wonk-ier than anticipated. Which doesn't bother me, I just wish I'd known it was happening -- it could have been interesting with an even greater angle.

You might guess from the bottom trimming there that I've done some squaring up and trimming to get it to a 'squared' size. That was something it would have needed anyway to keep any kind of balance in the width vs. length, but it was still a little sad to take the rotary cutters to it again.

Wonk included, I still love it. Between the colors and the many floral prints, I'm thinking a vintage floral sheet might make an idea backing, so this could be finished up -- or at least ready for the binding shopping -- in a couple hours if I get cracking or give up a little sleep over the next few days. Again, I'm thinking it has a little more 'girl' vibe -- and fortunately I've got one or two girls on my shopping list, so I might already have a home figured out for this one.

The colors are lovely and happy, and I'm really pleased with how it looks, despite some details of the design being a surprise. But after the last two quilt tops I've worked on, I am ready to deal with some seriously intense colors. I think it's time to either break out some long set aside projects with a great deal more color or pull the trigger on the order I've got sitting in my cart over at Southern Fabric: plum, magenta, mustard, navy, midnight, and lime. I want to work with those colors so much -- and it just about couldn't be any farther from the muted grey, tan, blue, yellow, and orange I've been playing with recently!

Then again, there's a whole pile of 'got to do' projects sitting next to me, telling me I'd better get farther along on the 'have tos' before I break into a 'want to.' Unless that 'want to' results in a renewal of energy, I probably better listen to the stacks...


No comments:

Post a Comment