22 April 2015

The Embraceable Quilt

I have completely embraced the unexpected wonk of this little stripe and block quilt -- though coming up with the right kind of quilting for it might be a little more challenging than anticipated. Since every surface in my sewing room is currently covered by projects in some state of unfinishedome, this top has been hanging on my unofficial design wall and basting area. While it's not quite the project I need to be working on today, it was kind of haunting me and holding me up from doing anything else -- so it's getting more of my time and attention anyway.

With a little help from someone who is absolutely not allowed in that cabinet -- which explains why he started awake from a snoring deep sleep and leaped directly into it (over my body in the way) to investigate and eventually nap on all the fabrics... -- I pulled out a couple options from my vintage sheet stash. Narrowing it to one was a challenge. All along I had been thinking about using one of my favorites, a yellow roses print, but I pulled out the next one in my stack as well and was surprised how well this other option fit with the quilt top.

In the end, I chose the surprise contender, and I think it was the perfect choice.

The floral print contains a couple salmon/pink colors, some gold, some blue, and a little bit of a light tan. It's not quite a perfect color match to the front, but all of those colors are featured in the Persimmon prints I used on the front, so it seems like just about a match completely meant to be. I'm thrilled and can't wait to see how the two work together once this little project is quilted.

And yes -- now that it is holding up most of my basting pins, it's going to have to keep getting some attention or I'm not going to be able to work on anything larger than a mini-quilt. I don't think that'll be a problem. I hope to spend tonight brainstorming ideas for the quilting -- nothing too elaborate, but perhaps something that makes allowances and celebration for the wonky top -- and get it whipped out of the way yet this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment