08 April 2015

Quilt #26: Wonky Star Sampler

My first finish of 2015!

I was taking my sweet time in getting this one washed and truly finished -- and it's a good thing I dragged the process out! I managed to catch two potential issues in time to fix them pre-wash and avoid making them any worse. After recent tragedies that eventually resulted in a quilt being abandoned to cat bedding -- because he doesn't mind the issues -- it was a relief to catch these problems before they had a chance to really ruin things again.

The glamour shots of this one leave something to be desired -- it's never been an easy one for me to photograph and this proved no exception at all.
The white thread just vanishes into the white background, but in reality, the quilted 'star' shape gives a lot of great texture without being overwhelming. It's a little more noticeable in the next photo.
I was worried that the interior of the quilted star, which was heavily quilted in more of a 'burst' than a star, was too deep a contrast compared to the rest of the quilt, but now that it's been washed, I think the two quilted areas work well together.
This is the perfect backing material for this quilt. I love it so much. I wish I had more of it -- or something similar. And multiple color versions of the same thing would be welcome too. Oh well.
This was another quilt I'd initially thought I might keep, but for the moment it is joining the short list of quilts that I'm considering as a gift for my summer-arriving niece. The mom-to-be self describes as 'not a girly girl' so I don't want to over-do on the girly colors or themes, which makes choosing a quilt to send for her a little bit of a challenge since I think 'girly' tends to be a bit of a default for me in color and fabric choices. Fortunately, I've got a few months of waiting to see how their nursery plans come along and hopefully that'll provide me some guidance. But whether this one is a keeper or not, I'm very pleased with the outcome -- though the binding job isn't as perfect as I'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment