09 July 2015

Quilt #29 - Oceans Quilt

If I'd been thinking when I started on this one, I might have called it something a little more beautiful, like "Sea Glass" or something... but it's always been just "Oceans" in my head, so that's what I'm sticking with.

The early steps were a challenge -- piecing the top, getting my math to turn out anywhere near where I thought it should, and I thought I would never get this one basted.

Fortunately, the later steps came together fairly smoothly. Quilting it went as quickly and smoothly as any project I've worked on, and the binding (despite being non bias style) went on quickly as well.

Since I'm not too familiar with the temperatures in Florida, I went with a really light weight batting, which makes this quilt light and something I'd consider more summer weight. Hopefully that lightness means it has a greater chance of being used year round down there -- though I'm sure there are times that are actually cold too.

Although I started with a plan for the quilt top -- and eventually grew that plan into the size I needed -- the back was more of a surprise to pull together. That said, I really can't decide which half of the quilt I like better! I think if absolutely forced to choose, I would probably go with the front, but I also know I'm not alone in being fond of the back; last night I showed it off to three people, one of whom thought the back was much better than the front.

I think the quilting is a lot more 'fun' when viewed on the back side of the quilt, while on the front it is more about the pattern of the blocks. Which are also lovely and a lot of fun, but the back is just a little more unexpected. I don't know. Either way, I love both sides, and hopefully the recipient will too!

I had high hopes for perfection on this one, hopes that were repeatedly dashed. But it still turned into something absolutely beautiful, something I'm still proud to offer to my friend as a gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment