05 July 2017

Quilt 32: For the Bridesmaid's Baby

I'm the very first to admit that this quilt has not turned out like I planned. The moment I heard she was expecting, I had visions of flying geese in a scrappy low volume background. I was certain it would be fairly do-able. I was... not right. Flying geese triangles aren't the easiest for me. They are do-able, but not in the amount of time I had to do it.

So, after a total rethink of the project -- after buying fabric -- I wound up with a split rail inspired top, and a very happy baby quilt.

This came together so, so quickly, but the result? I absolutely love.


Sharp eyes will catch the spot where the binding didn't quite catch the top. I've since fixed it. Yet another reason why washing and taking photos -- and processing them -- are part of the 'pre-finish' action. Sometimes I see things in the photos that I completely missed when I check every edge in person!

Have I ever been the kind of quilter to talk about texture? Because I am now. This quilt looks so ready to snuggle now that it's wrinkled up a bit more! I love it. Quilting around those pop blocks was a challenge -- nothing I'd do on a domestic machine with a larger quilt, but the result was exactly what I wanted. I'm so glad I pushed on through it.

I felt like I was taking a little bit of a risk with this amazing Cotton + Steel Wonderland backing, but with the addition of red binding, it's a perfect finish. The fabric is incredibly fun to look at, and I love the extra touch the little bit of gold gives it. Fun without being particularly 'nursery' looking.

 I'm just in love. I hope the new mom and her little one will like it half as much as I do.
The finished size is just about 40 inches square, which I think is a perfect size for those newborn months.

Now, to put a snap in a bib, take a photo of the whole package put together, and get it in the mail asap! I'm so excited to get to 'meet' this baby when she arrives. And more excited for my friend to get to be a parent (it is so not for everyone, it's hard, but it is also so much fun -- I could gush about my kid for an hour solid if I get started).

1 comment: