17 June 2013

I Spent My Weekend...

I spent part of my weekend hanging out with some people who looked more or less like this: 


And wondering if I could learn to make something more or less like this:

And generally having a blast. Strange fair food was enjoyed, along with some* acts and shows, and when we were worn out and sunburned (despite multiple applications of waterproof spf 30), we headed to check out our friend's new apartment and new town. Too much fun was had - and between the talking and two episodes of Game of Thrones (just starting season 3) - and we didn't get home until after 1 a.m.

Which has made the work week - five jobs and two days in, and it's only Monday evening! - a little more difficult. But it was totally worth it.







* I'm not an easy audience, even when I'm looking to be pleased, but usually I shake my head and ignore it, or maybe roll my eyes. This weekend I booed a performer for the first time in my life. Loudly. I know that by attending Fest. I'm signing up to have certain boundaries tweaked and proprieties mocked (which is part of the appeal for me), but there are still things that cross the line - and this particular performer crossed it. At the time, I was shocked - it seemed so contrary to the general sense of good-natured fun the rest of the Festival fosters. I may only complain about it here, and be a little less open next time I'm able to attend, but the vocal part of me wants to say something to the people who might be able to do something about it.

I've always felt Ren. Fest. was one of the high points of my year - from the food, shopping, and acts, to the costumes and generally body positive atmosphere. (This is the one place I go where it feels like all bodies are treated with the same level of acceptance - where people of all sizes wear corsets (or not) and are (in my experiences) all treated as equally appealing/attractive. I'm sure it's not as perfect as it seems for the few hours when I'm there, but it's worlds apart from my usual grind, in nearly every aspect.) This single negative experience has thrown ice water on my warm-fuzzy-safe-space feelings for the Fest., and that's as difficult to face as the experience itself. In a matter of seconds, I went from happy, looking forward to someday bringing our future kid here, to a gut-sick relief that no child in my care experienced that - and more so, relief that I wouldn't have to be explaining what happened to a child. I'm determined not to let this single extremely negative experience taint the entire Festival for me, but it may be a while before I feel safe there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment