25 June 2013

Something (more) Pink...


After a weekend of thinking about my on point blocks and throwing around possible solutions, I ultimately decided that the best thing to do was:
     a) to remove the small triangles from the blocks that weren't yet trimmed down, replace them with larger triangles that would require less cutting down and would hopefully keep the diamond points from getting lost in the seam allowance
      b) remove the small triangles from the blocks that were cut down, then use scraps of solids to bulk them back up to something like the size of the originals, then attach the larger triangles

I hated the backwards progress - but it was completely the right thing to do. Once I got going on some forward progress, I didn't want to stop to take a photo, and I didn't stop until I had most of a top pieced.

It's nearly impossible to see my franken-blocks in the photo, and when I was showing it off in person a few minutes later, no one noticed the reworking on the two red borders (the pink one however was noticed). I'm hopeful that they'll be even less obvious once the top has been quilted. (The pink franken-block is the second from the bottom on the right side, I can't tell you where the two reds are...)


I think it needs a border - but I can't decide if I want to add only on two sides (to make it a bit nearer to square) or something on all four sides. I do have a lot of pink fabric left, including a non-matching-but-maybe-close-enough pink with cupcakes, but maybe it's time to use something a little less pink. There are some great blues and greens I could use, or even a bit of yellow I could pull from.

Next time I have a few minutes free time, I think I'll pull a few more options from my stash and see if anything looks like it works.

I also need to spend some time thinking about how to quilt this - I'm not sure my machine would be too happy to go over the blocks of textured fabric, so I may need to think about how to avoid them, or at least be careful with them. But, one step at a time, and there are still a lot of steps between now and then.


Oh, again, I do have a slightly more fun name than 'something pink' for this one. Not that it's worth dragging out suspense over, but I'm going to wait on revealing it until I know the color of the border I add. That just might change how applicable the current name is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment