24 September 2014

12 Blocks Down

If you've been here before, you might have caught on to the fact that I'm wonky star obsessed, so, finding a stopping point on this block making adventure has been a challenge. But I kind of like the number 12 -- at least for a top. I might still have to make a couple more for the back...

Layout wise this is not the greatest way to display them, but I was too excited to try to work out a better pattern tonight. That's tomorrow evening's project. 


Right column top to bottom: scrappy center, log cabin ish center, featured center, frame center. 
Center column top to bottom: star in a star, fussy cut center, empty center, something I don't have a name for and don't think I've ever seen wonky style before. 
Left column top to bottom: pink scrappy solid, blue scrappy solid, wonky snowball center, pinwheel center. 

The star in a star is so tiny. I think I was working with 1 inch square pieces for the initial nine patch. I don't think I could do much smaller - especially not while using a decent seam allowance! 

I did attempt a twinkle block (see link for the tutorial) but I was not happy with the outcome. That block is in hiding, possibly going to be chopped into pieces (or ripped apart), possibly I'll get over my animosity towards it and put it on the back. Possibly. 

Next up is developing a layout that spreads the blocks around better -- putting some space between the frame and featured, the pinwheel and unknown, the log cabin ish and scrappy, and spreading the four smaller stars around the top somewhat. I hope to have the blocks assembled into a top in a couple days, then I'll begin seriously debating if I should add a border of some kind (scrappy log cabins with the left overs? rectangular bricks with a white final frame?) or if it'll be enough as is. I have Pinterest inspiration of several different scrappy/wonky star quilts, some with borders, some without, and every single one makes me think 'I'd like to make that.' Which makes it difficult to decide on a final course of action. Fortunately, there's lots of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment