19 September 2014

Post-Auditions

I'm fully aware that I'm working hard on these scrappy quilts because I don't want to spend another 10 hours working on straight lines and ironing over and over to finish up my husband's quilt top. Which probably makes me a pretty selfish wife - since his current comforter is rather ripped up now (thank you Momo). I know, maybe I'll start using these scrappy quilts as a reward. A few minutes of work on his, a few minutes on something a little more immediately creative. Hmm...

I did pick up a few yards of white fabric then immediately got to work cutting into the stacks of fabric I've had set aside for a someday project. I have the beginnings of a plan, and I don't want to rest and forget it!
Above is my first attempt, a scrappy log cabin inspired block as the center of a scrappy, wonky star. I've been wanting to do a wonky star 'sampler' for a long time, and I think these fabrics are going to be perfect for it.


I managed to finish four in the first night's work -- that's pretty good progress for me. I love the high contrast colors, and after over a year of looking at these fabrics but being afraid to touch them, this is thrilling to see -- something finally coming out of that stashed and secreted away pile!

I don't know how many blocks I'm going to make, though I have a list of various styles I'd like to try, but I am having a blast. My sewing table has never been so covered in scraps and pieces of thread though. I figure I'll let the mess grow until I'm finished (or until it's overtaking the room). Why clean up every night just to haul out the same piles of scraps the next morning?!

No comments:

Post a Comment