17 September 2014

Auditioning

I know I have enough on my plate at the moment, but my fingers are itching to start a new project. 

It needs a lot of white background added in, but here's the pile of fabric I've had sitting aside for a few months. I've been window shopping different patterns and ideas for what I'd like to begin working on next, and I'm finally thinking that it might be the right time to use this stack.

It's been a very long time since I've started a quilt by pulling fabrics completely on my own, instead of relying on a charm pack or other pre-cut set. I've stumbled into a few things from combining blocks, matched up two of three fabrics, but it's been ages since I really sat down with a pile of fabrics and debated without anything already started. I'm enjoying the process a great deal more this time around than the last time I started off this way. Pulling pieces from my stash to build a quilt has been much more fun than trying to buy all new fabrics -- probably because I'm such an introvert!

So far I like this stack very much, but I'm worried about the light to dark ratio. There's a lot of color, but so much of it seems to be on the lighter end of the spectrum with only the darkest pink/red, that little scrap of green in the center, and maybe the two other pinks counting as really 'dark' comparatively. Would it look more balanced if I had one more, darker/bolder blue print to balance the three deeper/bolder pinks -- or am I over thinking things?

Time to stop overthinking and start cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment