20 August 2013

How (not) to Quilt

My machine and I have yet to come to an agreement on how to work without the feed dogs up, which puts things like the 'typical' meandering free motion quilting out of my reach right now. Which was a little disappointing (again) when it came to trying to figure out how to quilt my Chocolate Covered Cherries quilt. I really thought something like the meandering free motion style would have worked well to help blend my franken-blocks, as well as not clashing with the on-point blocks (like I think straight line quilting in any direction would have).

It was difficult to decide what to do - because while I wanted to go with a fairly dense amount of quilting, I also wasn't certain how I could quilt over the textured pieces. Initially, I thought I would do thin stripes around the borders, as well as outlining each block, thin stripes in the solids, and then something patterned in the triangles (leaving the center blocks, the ones likely to be textured) alone.

I got about this far:


a full outline of the first block, as well as a few lines into the solid before determining that this was simply not going to do what I wanted.

And yes, although I often choose to make do instead, this time I really did spent over an hour ripping out that quilting error until I was looking at a blank slate again.

So I've set it aside again for the night. Maybe inspiration will hit while I'm sleeping and tomorrow I'll have an idea what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment