30 August 2013

Slightly Inspired

Well, I won't pretend it's going to be the most exciting quilting of my life, but I think I've finally stumbled upon what I'm going to do for the Chocolate Covered Cherries quilting: semi-wiggly lines.

At least I hope that's what I'm doing - since I'm more than halfway done!
It's not as clear of a photo as I'd like, but I think you can see a little bit of the difference between the quilting and the basted area.

It's going well - though I think it is probably my densest quilting yet, and certainly it uses more thread than just about anything I've done before. It's also taking a lot of time - which makes me wonder all the more if I should re-think my initial plan to make these squiggly lines cross the quilt in both directions. I'm beginning to suspect that would be too much.

Overall, I'm happy with the way it's looking on the blocks, but I think I should have done something simpler on the border; I just feel like that much thread, in such a high contrast, is fighting with the fabric's design/print a little more than I'd like. But no, I will not be ripping it out of all the border to try that part again. It's going to be what it's going to be. And I'm just going to push through and hope that once it's fully quilted, bound, and washed, the fabric still shines as much as it did before.

I think it will. I think this is just one of those 'try not to question during the process' moments where the beginning and end are good, but the middle is awkward.

Now, I'm off to buy more thread so I can finish this up. Between ripping out a previous mistake, and the rather confusing mess of having a few feet of additional thread (not attached to the rest) wound on backwards (compared to the rest) in the middle of the process, I've fallen a bit shorter than I planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment