13 August 2013

Sampler Progress

Does it seem like forever since I've made any progress on my sampler style blocks?

I finally got tired of staring at them wondering what I should do - so I did exactly what I've been threatening to do. I took apart my two least favorite blocks and used them as borders to beef up some of the smaller blocks I did like. That wasn't enough to make them all close to the same size, but it was a start.

Then, while I was out looking at possible binding materials, I picked up a solid grey to use as sash between the blocks and really got to work.

I trimmed the blocks to the nearest inch - which gave me five blocks at 7 inches square and seven blocks at 8 inches square. I then used some of the solid grey to up the smaller blocks to a matching 8 inch square size.

Better already
Once all the blocks were the same size, I chose a layout I liked and got to work piecing them together.

The wind didn't help me get any great pictures of it, but it's a big improvement over the stack of strange blocks I had a few hours earlier!

The current size is only about 32 by 42 - a little too small for a baby quilt and a little large for a wall hanging quilt. So, I'm back to debating what to do.

I could finish it up as is and make it a wall hanging anyway. I do have a wall space that would hold it. But I could add another border - either more solid grey or I could look for a little yardage and do something like flying geese style triangles around - and aim for a baby quilt. Neither the colors nor the blocks scream 'baby quilt' to me, but something so neutral-ish and less babyish might be more appropriate for a boy* (and let's face it, my stash of quilts to give away is a little more slanted toward 'girly' things at the moment).

So, one step forward - but a long ways from finished. I'm going to have to think quickly too; it looks like the line of fabric the majority of these prints came from (Sweetwater's Hometown) is getting scarce!




* I don't put a lot of stock into segregating colors or designs into girls or boys, but I also try to be sensitive to people who do. Right now, most of my 'ready to give' quilts feature floral prints or pink fabric which I would hesitate to give away to a baby boy unless I knew his parents were of a similar mindset (and even then I might hesitate a little).


No comments:

Post a Comment