30 October 2013

Momo Attempts to Help Choose Fabric

Now that I'm fairly happy with the top of the semi sampler quilt, it's time to turn my attention - and the remaining coordinating pieces - toward the back.

I initially intended to add a much larger border of flying geese blocks (following this amazing no waste tutorial which was so easy and fun) to the front - until I got a math bust crash course in just how large of blocks I'd just made and realized that was not going to look right. So, all the geese got promoted to the back - and I immediately learned that I need to be more aware of my seam allowance when sewing them together. I lost a few tips, but I think over all they still look alright.
Yes, most of this not well lit photo is the back of the quilt top, but you can see the geese and a couple other pieces I've worked out that I hope to include.

I don't know what to do to fill up all the rest of that space. The 'making backs is hard' part of me says to run out and pick up more solid gray and call it good. The rest of me isn't exactly satisfied with that plan. I'd really like to use something from my stash instead of buying more fabric - and I'd love to use something with dots to tie in with the dot piece I used on the front.

This multi-colored dot on pale blue is my most obvious option (the other dots in my stash being brown on bright aqua or orange on brown), though I have more to look through. I could work out something close to the above example - and only need another stripe of the dark grey, about 40 inches by 3 inches. I may have that much additional fabric from another project using this solid grey - but it would take me a while to learn if I really have that much excess or not.

It isn't a perfect match with the top, but not too bad either.
It's hard to tell in the lighting (indoors with the flash, at night - I know, but it was my only option right now) whether it's a good match or not. I wasn't certain looking at the pieces in person and thought that taking photos might help bring some clarity to the situation. It usually does - but I don't think it did this time...

I think I'd better dig through my stash and see if I have anything else that looks as good or better - but if I don't find anything, I'm leaning towards going with it anyway. What do you think? Horrible mistake? Go back for more solid grey? Keep hunting? I'm open to all ideas right now!




And while this quilt is still probably technically just going in the stash - and started as something I really wanted to keep due to the sampler style block choices - I'm also seriously leaning towards sending it to someone... Not knowing yet what I'm going to do with it does put extra pressure on the few remaining decisions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment