21 October 2013

Runner: Pre-Wash

I didn't think quilting the bed runner was going to be a massive undertaking - it's only  about 18 inches wide! But it's also about 80" long. So, yes, this turned out to require a great deal more wrestling than I anticipated. So difficult, that I pulled back my quilting from the three directions of lines I'd hoped to include, to only two.

I think it turned out alright with only two lines:
On the 'Halloween' side I quilted with my usual just-barely-off-white thread.

On the 'Christmas' side, I quilted in a color change purple/pink/aqua thread.

Both sides of the quilt show that I had some issues with my basting not being tight enough or frequent enough to hold the fabric in place during quilting. I'm not pleased about that, but this was a test run with a potential batting for a larger project and I'm glad to have learned about it on something so small scale and unimportant. I'm also hoping that these issues will blend a little better with the whole after a trip through the wash/dry cycles.

Getting pictures of the whole piece is a challenge, but I've done my best:


The sides really don't coordinate with each other, but that's alright. The quilting works well enough on both sides (though I do still wonder how it would have looked with the additional diagonal line which should have broken each rough diamond into rough triangles) - and I'm surprised and pleased with the way the black binding works with both sides.

I'm off to throw it in the wash and see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment