05 March 2014

Fabric Crush

Last month I made the somewhat risky choice to go ahead and order some charm packs I had been lusting over for quite a while. I might have been able to put it off for a bit longer - since I'm supposed to be saving right now - but I noticed that one of the prints I was really 'needing' was getting increasingly more challenging to find anywhere. While that pushed me to order sooner than I'd imagined, searching for somewhere that had S'more Love charm packs in stock actually led me to an Etsy shop with slightly better prices (even when counting shipping) than my usual haunts (which either didn't have it or were already out of it).

The package arrived and I have spent too many hours today just drooling over the crisp new arrivals. Sometimes I just have to savor before I start working on them!
I'm a big fan of both orange and aqua, so it's no surprise that I love this line. I'm just so happy I managed to track some down before it all got away from me! I didn't stare at this one for too long - so I'll be back tomorrow with better pictures of the fabric and what I did with it!

The other fabric I got was Bluebird Park:


Which is adorable, but I'm not 100% pleased with it as a charm size. A couple of the prints (hard to see in my picture, but the ones with bikes and park benches) aren't as ideal for charm size cuts as others (the repeating hedgehogs for example are ideal). I got lots of pieces of bikes (like the blue in the bottom right of the photo) but only one full bike - and I don't think I have a single full bench or sign post. I'm worried that as I sew the charms together I'll end up with just enough lost that someone who isn't familiar with the fabric line might not know what that was supposed to be. There are a lot of cute prints, and the colors are great, but I didn't think ahead about how those less repetitive, larger scale kind of prints would work in such a small cut. Hopefully once I start working with them I'll see that it's not a big deal and be able to move forward.




On a more personal note: while I didn't actually accomplish anything yesterday, I made three phone calls and sent four hard emails. No results yet beyond an appointment in two weeks. Still, it's some progress... kinda...

No comments:

Post a Comment