17 March 2014

Pansy Patch Update - At Last!

I really haven't worked on Pansy Patch since 2012. I picked this project when I was very, very new to sewing/quilting and it has kicked my rear end all the way. My first few attempts weren't exactly awful - but they weren't good, and the very first one took me something like 5 hours just to make the face of the first flower. Then came the months (possibly years) in which I set the project down somewhere and then lost it.

Well, I found it again last night while trying to use the scanner - so I made myself work on it instead of shoving it in a corner again.

It's still rough - but I refused to put it down, or go to bed, until I'd made some progress on it.
It isn't the quality I'd hoped for when I started, but honestly, I'm just tired of this one hanging over my head!

I did a little quilting, inspired by -- but by no means as involved -- as a pin I ran across (completely by accident) of some amazing quilting on a much nicer version of these blocks (seriously, go drool, amazing)
For having feed dogs I had to fight, I think it turned out pretty well actually.

I was so excited to have it finished, I took a few photos last night the moment it was bound.
It's not great and I won't pretend I'm thrilled with it - but I am happy to be finished with it. And even though I'm very tempted to toss the directions and never think of it again, I still like it - so I'm going to file the directions and come back to it in another year or two. It'll be interesting to see how a little more practice, patience, and maturity changes the blocks I make. Hopefully for the better.





Update - Okay, so this whole thing got started because I knew this would be perfect for my mother for her birthday. Sadly, the pattern has been so hard on my limited skills that it wasn't done that year. And by the time I finished it, I was certain it was too imperfect to give. The other day she walked into my house, saw it, and let out an absolute squeal. She loves it and thinks it looks great. Now I'm kicking myself for not holding off and giving it to her anyway. Guess my own perfection tendencies got in the way again. Oh well, more incentive to try again sooner rather than later - and maybe a set of 6 if they go smoothly? Hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment