25 November 2014

Reflections Again

I've been pushing myself to finish up the top of the second bedroom quilt, Random Reflections 2 of 2. With Random Reflections 1 of 1, I made 10.5 inch strips out of every scrap of my jelly roll fabric and wound up with 5 extra pieces once the top was completed. I have added extra jelly roll cuts to the fabric pile for #2, so it's been harder to tell how much I need to use.

I currently have a large pile left, but my stack of 10.5 strips counted in at around 200, so I decided to start piecing them into a top. I still have about 20 more strips to make, but I needed a break from it -- and seeing bits and pieces of the top begin to come together is a lot more fun than building the strips.

Even though I thought I added lots of blues and grays, the overall images so far still feel heavy on the whites. Oh, I still like it, it's just turning out lighter and brighter than I anticipated. I have to keep reminding myself that the dark grey is a color for this one, not a neutral background to ignore. I can't wait to see how it looks finished, but I'm still several hours away from that.

I'm not sure I'll be able to pull up the energy -- or time-- for it, but I really feel like I've got to enter a kind of 'finish it up' time of my life -- I have too many projects in progress, many of which haven't been touched in months. And I have three new projects I want to start on! I've got to finish some of these older ones up before I start something new. I'll just keep repeating that for a while and hopefully it'll work.

I don't think I can get the Random Reflections quilted before January or February, but my goals is to get the 2 of 2 top finished and start on the back for it before Christmas. I don't think I'll have room to baste it until well after the holidays, even if I was going to have the time to quilt on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment